Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cimax



The climax of 1984 is when Winston is tortured by O'Brien in Room 101.
Expecting starvation and endless beating, Winston wishes to commit suicide.

A guard smashes Winston's elbow, and Winston thinks that no one can become a hero in the face of physical pain because it is too much to endure. When O'Brien tortures Winston, he tells him that Winston's crime was refusing to accept the Party's control of history and his memory. As O'Brien increases the pain, Winston agrees to accept anything O'Brien wants him to believe is true. He begins to love O'Brien because O'Brien occasionally stops the pain.

As I was reading the chapters which described the process of torturing Winston, I felt I was the one who was being tortured. I did not want to read further because everything was too gory and harsh to think about. I felt so sorry for Winston and wished if I could save him from his miserable situation. I cheered for him to not give up his philosophy and identity; however, it turned out that he was completely brainwashed and that he loved Big Brother at the end.

Nevertheless, I do not blame him for giving up because I can not imagine how hard it is to stand the severe physical pain Winston has gone through.

No comments: